It is healthy to postpone eating once in a while or to even skip a meal. There are so many benefits to intermittent fasting that making it a daily routine would be something to consider.
You can fast 16 hours per day and still have 3 meals. For example, you could eat at 10am, 2pm, and 6pm, then fast 16 hours until 10am the next day.
Here is a list of some of the top reasons why you should consider trying intermittent fasting: (talk to your doctor if you are diabetic or pregnant)
1. Slows aging process by increasing mitochondria (parts of the cell that make energy and also play a role in cell regeneration)
2. Stimulates the production of more mitochondria and therefore increases your cell’s ability to breakdown fat for energy production
3. Reverses insulin resistance – early signs of type 2 diabetes
4. Promotes autophagy, which is the process where cells breakdown and recycle old cell parts and make new ones
5. Stimulates the production of growth hormone that helps build and maintain muscle, bone, skin, blood vessels and many other tissues
6. Stimulates the expression of genes that are involved in cell division
7. Stimulates the immune system to fight infections and get rid of old cells and cancer cells
8. Increases mental energy so you feel more alert and able to concentrate
9. Increases brain neurotransmitters that help you to think such as norepinephrine and acetylcholine
10. Increases the body’s resistance to oxidative stress and therefore reduces damage caused by free radicals….it is like stimulating your cells own natural antioxidant machinery